In 1993 the city was included in the UNESCO World Heritage list. Bamberg was founded by King Heinrich II as a diocese in 1007. In the year 1012 the Emperor’s cathedral was sanctified, and in the year 1215 the cathedral of Bamberg was completed as it stands today. It is one of the main attractions of the city.
Opposite the cathedral is the new residency of Bamberg, a building in the baroque style. The baroque period is the time of prosperity for Bamberg and it flourishes while under the reign of the prince-bishops Lothar Franz and Friedrich Karl of Schönbrunn. It owes its appearance today to the baroqe era.
The monastery St. Michael situated on the Michaelsberg is very near the residency. Grape vines are growing abundantly on the slopes of the hill, as Franconia is famous for wine as well as the beer.
The river Regnitz flows through Bamberg and divides into two channels. On one of its arms a small artificial island has been built up on which the old Town Hall has been erected. Next to it is the Rottmeister house, a world famous landmark. In the same vicinity on the left bank of the river lies the little Venice of Bamberg. It is a row of fishermen houses situated directly on the riverbank.
The city was built on seven hills, like Rome, and the river Regnitz rushing on its way to join the Rhine creates a lovely atmosphere. Since Bamberg was lucky to survive various wars virtually unscathed during the course of history, it presents itself now in the splendour of old days.