City of emperors. Early in the Middle Ages the emperors of the German empire chose to reside in this city and thus took it under their protection. This led to a fast growth and the citizens achieved power and prosperity. Two famous churches are located in Nürnberg, the St. Sebaldus and St. Lorenz churches. The medieval castle, carefully restored after WWII can be seen enthroned above the old city. The reconstructed city wall and the buildings in the narrow streets still emanate the atmosphere of medieval times. The famous painter Albrecht Dürer was born in Nürnberg and painted most of his great works there. Numerous museums are awaiting the visitor such as the Germanic museum, as well as the traditional Nürnberger Bratwürstl in the cosy restaurants and several small breweries in the old city.
Nürnberg is also famous for the Reichstag premises of the NSDAP party and the Zeppelin field. After the WWII the famous Nürnberg Trials were held in the courtroom 600 of the court house in the Fürther Street.
Today Nürnberg is a pulsating business centre with an international airport and busy exhibition grounds. The central railway station presents itself in neo rococo building style to the traveller. The first German railway went between Nürnberg and Fürth in 1835 over a length of 7 km. The train was drawn by the famous locomotive, the “Adler”. A replica of the Adler is displayed in the Transport Museum in the city.